What to DO if you have an accident!
- Do immediately call for medical help if someone is injured.
- Do call the police. They will document the accident and gather facts for legal purposes. If you don’t call the police, it is your word against the other person’s.
- Do report the accident to your insurance agent as soon as possible.
- Do exchange information with the other parties involved, such as address and phone number. If it’s a car accident get the license plate number; make, model and year of the vehicle; driver’s insurance information; car registration number; driver’s license number.
- Do get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses. Keep in mind, if it was a car accident, any passengers involved in the accident are NOT witnesses.
- Do keep a disposable camera handy (or use your fully charged cell phone camera), to take pictures of the accident, damage to the vehicle, and the area around the accident.
- Do collect any physical evidence that could have caused the accident.
- Do gather details from the accident: draw a diagram of the accident; note the date and time; the type of weather; the location of the accident—including any landmarks.
Remember to Call Mineo and Associates for legal advice at 727-712-8883